Tuesday, September 16, 2008

the very scary football schedule

Sorry, unplanned sports post warning: If you know me at all, you know that for my 40+ years I have been a pig--a big one too--a gigantic University of Arkansas Razorback. I lived and breathed Hog football even before I ever went to school there (which I did and received a Master's degree in statistics 18 years ago).

There have been good teams and bad teams during all those years. But, this year's team is possibly the worst. Yeah, it doesn't make much sense to say that about a 2-0 college football team. Those two wins shouldn't count. One was a fourth-quarter come-from-behind-and-barely-hold-on-to-win heart-stopper against the Leathernecks of Div. I-AA Western Illinois. The other win was a one-point victory in the same manner against another supposedly inferior opponent--Louisiana-Monroe. Both games could have easily been losses.

IMHO, Coach Bobby Petrino does not have this Arkansas team prepared to win against the big boys. Of course it doesn't help that the Oakland Raiders and Dallas Cowboys are suddenly both better because two of the five best running backs in the country last year don't play on the same team in Fayetteville any more.

So, how will the Hogs do against the big boys? We're about to find out. Over the next four weeks, Arkansas will play the (current) AP-poll #9 (Bama), #7 (Texas), #4 (Florida) and #10 (Auburn) ranked teams back-to-back-to-back-to-back. I'll admit it. I am very scared. Four top-10 opponents in 22 days--are you kidding me?

Go Hogs! Allay my fears! A 6-0 Arkansas team this year would be the biggest suprise I can imagine. Of course, my understanding of inferential statistics doesn't allow me to be too hopeful. As soon as the next game starts, though, my optimism will overwhelm my lack of hope and the long odds and I will root hard for my team. Win or lose, I'll do the same the next week. And the next. And the next. And next year. And the year after that. You get the point.

5 comments:

kcrazorback said...

Update #1 of 4: Yes, #9 Bama killed the Hogs 49-14, but it wasn't really that close. Meanwhile, next week's opponent--#7 Texas is en route to a 52-10 win over Rice.

TwinLawyerMommy said...

You're definitely no "fair-weather Hog." ;)

kcrazorback said...

Update #2 of 4: Yes, Texas made it 52-10 two weeks in a row with a win over the Hogs. But next week's opponent, #4 Florida will drop a spot or two having lost in an upset to Houston Nutt and Mississippi. Hmmm? Houston Nutt wins. Arkansas loses.

kcrazorback said...

Update #3 of 4: #12 Florida killed the Hogs 38 to 7.

kcrazorback said...

Update #4 of 4: Well I' be, they done done it. They has done found an SEC team even more messed up than 'emselves. The hogs beat #20 Auburn 25 to 22. Hope springs.