Tuesday, December 9, 2008

venni vidi vici

I was a math major in college. I learned all about Venn diagrams when working with sets. I'd say I had a pretty good education.

Imagine my suprise a couple of weeks ago when kcrazorback daughter began (correctly) explaining Venn diagrams to me and showing me an example of one. Don't forget, kcrd is in kindergarten.

Turns out her K-teacher is pretty good with math and very good at teaching. So she and math-interested daughter are a good fit. All the kids in Ms. H's class are benefiting from this.

Daughter is already pretty good at math (at age 4, she could multiply, say, 2 x 12 in her head--actually doing the computation--I think she was making 24 imaginary tick marks in two rows of 12 and counting them--answering correctly) and dreams about numbers. But with a little bit of genetics and a teacher inspiring her, she can be great in mathematics. I always knew she would, just didn't expect it so soon.

Thank you Ms. H for breaking my preconceived ideas of what an elementary educator is capable of. Thank you also for recognizing what your little learners are capable of. Thanks for intersecting the two. Good job!

No comments: