Friday, January 2, 2009

oh boy, oh boy

It wasn't quite Christmas morning. But, my New Year's Eve morning began before 8:00 AM when the FedEx guy rang the doorbell and dropped two boxes at the door. For this hp calculator dude it was like Christmas morning. I tore into the boxes expecting to find a new 35s in one box and a 10s in the other. hp did not disappoint. You see, I really did not miss the big sale I talked about in the previous post. At these prices, I couldn't afford not to buy (right, honey?).

After I get to know my 35s a little better, I'll give you a review of it. What follows is a quick review of my new 10s.

For a pocket scientific, the 10s seems to be everything you'd want with a few little suprises. For the price (I paid $7.99 with free shipping as part of a larger order), it's a very good calculator. Some notes:
* I really like the hard protective case and the dual power (solar and battery) feature. I bought the 10s because I needed one cheap calculator that I could carry in my laptop bag on business trips. I had been using my 33s for this purpose, but replaced the batteries twice last year after business trips. Anyway, I prefer not to travel with my 33s--don't want to lose it... Now, if I can just get used to algebraic entry while working.
* There seems to be some odd and very non-hp placement of buttons. Most annoying is the location of the AC button, which is not on an edge or near the ON button or near the = button. Hunting for it slows me down.
* The lcd contrast on the two-line display does not seem dark enough for me and I don't know how to darken it--standard tricks didn't work. Didn't try replacing the battery yet. I'll do some research and get back to you.
* The biggest of the little suprises: not only does this calculator store data and perform simple linear regressions like many other scientifics, it is capable of 5 other types of regression models: logarithmic, exponential, mathematical power, inverse and quadratic. Wow, that's all on an $8 calculator.

It's not top-of-the-line. But, to use a car phrase, it is best in class. If you can get one for $8, don't hesitate.

No comments: