Wednesday, January 21, 2009

president obama and the new car

Of course, our new president's limo has been in the news a lot lately. Now that is one sweet ride. On the other hand, it burns a lot of gas.

Kansas City's 2008 car market was a funny one. When gas prices skyrocketed, it became almost impossible to buy an affordable small car in Kansas City due to the demand. When gas prices went back down at the end of the year, lots of folks bought back their gas guzzling SUVs. What a fickle lot we are.

So with lower prices on economical cars, kcrazorback wife and I started shopping at the end of the year. After considering lots of cars, we began to focus on recent-model used Toyota Matrixes (Matrices?). We actually missed out on a couple as other buyers moved quickly to buy. (I'm the guilty party--I'm a stereotypical slow-moving southerner.)

So, within moments of the presidential swearing-in yesterday, I struck a deal to buy a 2007 Toyota Matrix--not the typical ride for 40 and over statisticians. I hope that stimulus package kicks in soon.

It's red. I mean, it is really red. Toyota calls it radiant red. I picked it up last night. Fortunately, kcrazorback looks good in red. Kcrazorback looks good regardless, but just making the point.

When gas prices go back up (and they will), I plan on saving a lot of money at the pump. Over the long haul, I hope it pays for itself.

Free Ride is playing in my mind. Yeah, I'm cool.

1 comment:

kcrazorback said...

OK, I would be cool except it was Foghat's "Slow Ride." "Free Ride" was Edgar Winter.

Given how I drive, Slow Ride is probably more appropriate.

Mea Culpa