Tuesday, September 8, 2009

eternally optimistic

Generally speaking, I'm an optimist. I believe that if the final out of the baseball game hasn't yet been made, my team can still win--even if they are down by a bunch of runs. I believe that if the team hasn't been eliminated from playoff contention yet, they still have a chance--like the Kansas City Royals, who are 23.5 games back in the AL Central right now.

As the inevitable fall approaches, however, optimism gives way to pragmatism. In fact, I become so pragmatic that each September (or even late August), I keep a spreadsheet that forecasts when my team will be eliminated from the playoffs that year. This year, the earliest possible date that the Royals can be eliminated from playoff contention is, drumroll(?), TODAY. In fact, if Detroit, Minnesota and Chicago all win their respective games, the Royals will be done. The most likely date of elimination is tomorrow (09/09/09). Regardless, my pragmatism forces me to accept the outcome and defeats my optimism today. Yes, you can say I was stupid for sticking with the team to the very end.

The worst part is now we have to start rooting for the Kansas City Chiefs. As baseball season turns into football season, my pragmatism becomes depression. I am already longing for baseball spring training when I can be optimistic again.

Wait a second, if Detroit can lose all of their remaining games except one to Minnesota and then Minnesota can lose all of their remaining games except five to Chicago and then Chicago loses all of their remaining games and, of course, Cleveland would have to lose almost all of their remaining games, the Royals could still win the division. Optimism springs eternal!!! (for a few hours)

2 comments:

kcrazorback said...

OK, now, a couple of days later, I'm still optimistic. But I'm not nuts.

Now, if the Royals lose any of their remaining games (22) or if Detroit or Chicago or Minnesota wins any of their remaining games (except against each other), the Royals will be eliminated.

kcrazorback said...

They turned it into a fight--finally losing to the Indians and being eliminated on Saturday after a five game winning streak.