Tuesday, September 29, 2009

made the right choice

As my undergraduate education was coming to a close, I decided to pursue a master's degree in mathematics on a teaching assistantship. After interviewing and applying with a few schools, I received offers from two universities.

Texas A&M offered me a pretty good offer. The University of Arkansas made an offer that was almost as good as that. The third school I was most interested in (Rice) did not make me an offer. So, basically, my choice came down to A&M or Arkansas. It was a very difficult choice.

Exacerbating the problem was the fact that my girlfriend would still be in school at Harding in Searcy, Ark. for one more year. At the time, Searcy was about 10 or 11 hours from College Station, TX and only about three hours from Fayetteville, Ark.

In my mind, the choice was 50/50. Pick one school much closer to my girlfriend or the other school with the better offer. I picked Arkansas. This led to weekend trips between Searcy and Fayetteville, a fall engagement, a May wedding, 20 years (and still counting) of marriage to my girlfriend and one beautiful daughter.

This weekend as Texas A&M and Arkansas (6:30 Saturday on ESPN2) renew their rivalry for the first time since their Southwest Conference days, GO HOGS!

No comments: