Thursday, April 1, 2010

wrong is wrong

OK, so I'm assuming everyone knows about Fred Phelps, Westboro Baptist, the marine's dad and Bill O'Reilly so that I don't have to link to the news. If you're not, there's Google.

What really amazes me about nut jobs: they stand behind freedom of speech to defend something that (I agree) they have a right to say but should not say it anyway because it is not right to do so.

It is never right to do what Phelps & co. are doing at the funerals of fallen U.S. soldiers. Having a right to do something does not make it right to do it.

The first amendment may protect Phelps' right. However, IMHO, he is violating the Lord's 2nd greatest commandment--to love others. Jesus' 2nd greatest commandment always trumps any man-made law.

Sadly, the fallen soldier would defend Phelps' 1st amendment right to the death.

Fred Phelps does not speak for me. He does not speak for Kansans. He does not speak for Christians. He does not speak for Americans. I wish he would not speak.

It's time for the rest of us to speak up. I'm so thankful for my country that I'm blessed to live in. I'm eternally grateful for the thousands of United States marines and soldiers who have paid the ultimate sacrifice for my rights. I am proud to be American. We have the greatest country on the face of the earth. If Phelps lived anywhere else, he'd have already lost his freedoms. Instead, a United States marine gave his life for Fred Phelps.

No comments: