Monday, May 5, 2008

five is just too old

I suppose it's not really too old. But for mom and dad it comes too quickly. We see our sweet little kcrazorback daughter growing up too fast. Before we know it, she'll be in kindergarten, um, grade school, really, high school already, you mean she's in college, I mean home from college...

I know, between now and then there will be a million soccer games, sleepovers, lemonade stands, skinned knees, church camps, school days, sick days and snow days. I know she'll still need us. But the need will be different.

Until now, in a lot of ways, we were her world. From now on we will support her, help her, protect her and even lead her in her own world--not ours, but hers.

It's supposed to be this way. What good would it be if 13 years from now she went away to college still dependent on us? Still, our co-dependence is hard to lose. You see, she doesn't need me in the same way anymore. But there's not a switch to turn it off in me.

We are learning new ways to communicate. This weekend I opened something for her as she protested "Daddy, I can do it." I said "I know you can. I just wanted to do it for you." We've entered a new stage--a good one.

I really am happy for her--but, five is just too old.

No comments: