Monday, May 26, 2008

we remember

Today is Memorial Day. Our flag is out.

I'm proud to be an American. I'm proud to be the son of a U.S. Marine, the son-in-law of a U.S. Army officer (Vietman veteran), the grandson of a WW II P.O.W. (6 months in a German prison), the nephew of service men (by now we're up to all branches of the armed forces). I come from a long line of men and women who have served our country in peace and war times.

I'm proud of my great-grandparents and their generation who raised the "Greatest Generation." Their are many parallels between their generation and the young adults who are now referred to as Generation-X. Similarly, their children (the Millenials) are being called by some the "2nd Greatest Generation."

I never served in the United States military, but I have the greatest respect for those men and women who place it on the line every day. Regardless of politics, you Americans serving all over the world--especially in Iraq--right now are to be respected, commended and supported.

More than 4,000 of your colleagues have died in Iraq. The price of your sacrifice is hard for us to understand. Thank you for protecting freedom. Thank you for serving. May God bless you all and bring you home soon.

No comments: