Tuesday, November 20, 2007

orange you glad there's pie

OK, this is one even I don't get. Orange pie for dessert on Thanksgiving. What it seems to be is that the mom, in her effort to please everyone tries to make at least one dish specifically for each family member. While that's overkill, it is nice when it's for you. That's mom.

But the orange pie is definitely not for me. I think it might be for my sister, but I'm not sure. I don't think I've ever tried it. I'm sure it's good. I probably still won't ever try it, though. I'll leave it for my sister.

The pecan pie is for me. Call me a traditionalist.

1 comment:

TwinLawyerMommy said...

Yep, the orange was for me. It's the best. Here's the recipe:

Make a baked pie shell.
Mix in saucepan:
1 c. sugar
2 egg yolks
1/4 c. cornstarch

Gradually stir in 1 1/3 c. orange juice. Cook over medium heat, stirring vigorously and constantly until mixture boils one minute. (It will thicken, stir fast.) Remove from heat and stir in 2 T butter and 1 t. orange flavoring. Pour into baked pie shell and let cool 15 minutes. Place waxed paper directly on top of pie until completely cool to prevent "hardening" of the top.