Tuesday, November 20, 2007

turkey and dressing with chicken

T minus two days and counting.

T of course stands for turkey. Turkey is usually served with dressing--a bread 'stuffing' that (in my family) was never actually stuffed in the turkey. Our dressing was baked in a pan over a layer of chicken. Yes, that's right. Our turkey and dressing was turkey and dressing with chicken.

I think my mom prepared it that way because dad insisted. Dad probably wanted it that way because that was how it had been prepared in his family when he was a kid. My depression-era paternal grandparents probably did that so that everyone in the family could get some meat even if it was a combination of both chicken and turkey. I don't know if chicken was cheaper then, but suspect my grandparents had their own chickens but would have had to buy a turkey. Having spent money on turkey, it was probably served to adults and guests while the kids mostly got chicken.

If you ever get the chance, try turkey and dressing with chicken. It is delicious and might make you sleepy. Hey, maybe that's why my grandparents...

No comments: