Monday, March 31, 2008

the best wedding gift

OK, this family story requires a lot of setup. Mrs. kcrazorback and I got married in 1989. We were way too young for such a crazy action. We got married on her graduation day from college (black gown in morning, white gown at night). After graduation, she would be unemployed for a few months and I would drive a delivery truck that summer making next to minimum wage. During the following school year, I was on a graduate teaching assistantship making a smooth $7200 (yes, that was a year's wage for me). Needless to say, we didn't have a lot that first year of marriage.

Meanwhile twin kcrazorback brother was not really getting rich either as he worked in a poultry processing plant in SW Arkansas.

Bride's home church had a shower for us and gave us an unbelievable number of towels and stuff. My home church had a shower for us and gave us a bunch of towels and stuff. Friends and family from all over gave us towels and stuff. Being a young couple that didn't have much, we really needed and appreciated all that we were given.

However, the very best gift that we were given came from the most unlikely source, my brother. I love him for doing the best he thought he could. But I don't know if he realizes that he was also providing what we really needed. You see, 19 years ago my brother didn't have much in the way of resources. But he could shop at the company store. So, for our wedding gift, he got us big bags of frozen chicken, bags of fajita meat, several Cornish game hens, boxes of frozen chicken nuggets (dixie fritters for those in the know), etc. My brother, in spite of his own poverty, fed this newlywed couple for months at the very time we most needed it.

My dear brother, thank you for your wonderful gift. I probably never communicated to you how much I really appreciated it. I doubt that I've ever given you a gift so valuable. You are a good friend and a great brother.

1 comment:

TwinLawyerMommy said...

Aww. Sweet. You should print that out and snail-mail it to your bro.