Friday, October 12, 2007

atari 2600 was king

Of course, I had an early 6-switch Atari 2600 system with about 25 game cartridges. Of the first generation of console gaming systems, it was my favorite. Partly because it was mine, partly because it was first but mostly because I was addicted to gaming.

It came with a really cool game called Combat which you didn't get tired of until about 10 minutes after you got it. But of course, game cartridges then (almost 30 years ago) cost about what a new game for Xbox 360, Playstation 3 or Wii costs now. I remember I bought Donkey Kong for my Atari on the day it was released for $55. Fortunately, I had paper route income to support my habit.

For guys my age, the 2600 was THE system. Nothing else was even close. The NES was still a few years away.

I don't currently have any of the three game systems listed above--can't justify spending the money. Maybe, if I get a paper route...

No comments: