Monday, February 23, 2009

but she did say a lot

One key to our longevity: talking. We talk. A lot.

We also listen some. Although I don't always engage the discipline, I have learned to listen. Mainly because most of the listening burden has been placed on my shoulders. I'm good, but distractions sometimes creep in--or in this case, slither.

I remember very well the afternoon at Riverside Park just outside our college town of Searcy, Ark. My girlfriend (the future mrs. kcrazorback if you weren't clear--hey, she's the love of my life I'm not going to be talking about anyone else) and I were standing on a paved path a couple of feet apart facing each other and talking. I peripherally noticed the snake that was just approaching her from behind. In an instant I decided the wise thing would be to not look down or step away but just watch what happens. The brown reptile meandered between her feet and then left. I really enjoyed telling her what had just happened after it got about 5 feet away. I still have no idea what she was talking about.

No comments: