Thursday, February 12, 2009

i didn't know about the new models, but serve me up some pi

One item in the most recent hp solve newsletter, was news of the announcement of three new models at last month's Consumer Electronics show. I didn't know.

But now I know they exist. So, I'll have to get info about these three new hp calculators and get back to you: EasyCalc 100, SmartCalc 300s, OfficeCalc 300. Just based on the newsletter, it looks like I wouldn't mind a SmartCalc 300s for myself.

This edition also has some interesting trivia on the announcement of new models over the years.

The previous edition contained a calculation for the number pi that I had never heard of either. But it's so simple. You take 113355 and split it down the middle, divide the latter by the former so 355/113 and the result is pi accurate to six decimal places. I've been a mathematician for many years and I don't think anyone ever showed me that trick. Cool. Can I have a slice of 355/113, please. It's also possible I knew at one time, but have forgotten. You saw that I said "many years," right?

1 comment:

gamma raise said...

FINALLY! A pi equasion I might be able to remember. Now, if I only knew what pi does. BTW, I made Cdot an orange pi for her b-day. Mommie Dearest