Friday, February 27, 2009

dad and the mav

In an earlier post--enough sources of stress already--I told you a little bit about my dad and the 1976 Ford Maverick he owned.

Before going away to college in 1984, I bought the car from him. My friends knew it as "the Mav." The Mav developed a reputation as a dating machine. I don't know how that happened.

Fast forward to the wedding in 1989. My betrothed drove her Pontiac Grand Am to the wedding. I drove the Mav. During the reception my lame groomsmen and Aunt Gloria decorated BOTH cars--not knowing which one we'd drive away in. Of course, we took the nicer car, the Grand Am.

That left the Mav at Carmichael Community Center covered in shaving cream, just married signs, tin cans tied on--you get the picture. So, the story goes, that my dad started driving across town to find a carwash. I think he got more attention during that one drive by himself than he had en route to his own honeymoon. Thanks dad.

The Mav died in 1990 and we sold it for scrap. If I'd been a little more car-savvy, I probably could have fixed it up. But who knows what it would have cost in the long run so I don't feel too bad about letting it go.

No comments: