Thursday, March 12, 2009

listening, number 2

I told you in an earlier post about my listening skills and how they've been developed over the years out of necessity. I didn't start so attentive, though.

In fact, when the future Mrs. kcrazorback and I were dating, we were at a Christian college with an 11 PM curfew in the dorms. So, she'd frequently call me after 11. Then she'd start talking.

After handset-to-ear fatigue became just too unbearable, I would pass the phone off to my roommate Dan. The two of them would have many long (mostly) one-sided conversations late at night.

I am extremely grateful for Dan's sharing of the burden. And I like to think he enjoyed the conversations--they gave him something to do while he chilled to his favorite Pink Floyd album almost loud enough to not hear the phone--hey, I think I know how he survived the calls.

No comments: