Wednesday, February 6, 2008

my favorite Bible verse

My favorite verse is from prophecy. However I believe that the truth that it reveals about our God's personality can teach His people today. It's the second half of Daniel 11:32

Daniel 11:32 (New American Standard Bible)
New American Standard Bible (NASB)
Copyright © 1960, 1962, 1963, 1968, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1975, 1977, 1995 by The Lockman Foundation


32"By smooth words he will turn to godlessness those who act wickedly toward the covenant, but the people who know their God will display strength and take action.

"...the people who know their God will display strength and take action." Our God wants a people who will boldly display their strength. He wants a people who will rise to act. Meekness is a virtue, but weakness is not. Action must be taken.

In Paul's letter to the Ephesians, Paul teaches us that we are 'created in Christ Jesus for good works' (Eph. 2:10). Note: Paul is not saying that we can be saved by works--in fact, he clears up that issue in the preceeding 2 verses. Read Ephesians 2:8-9 some time. There is nothing I can do to be saved outside the grace gift of God. But, knowing God, I know that He calls me to work and I desperately want to please Him.

So, if my God has created me for good works and prepared the works for me, I must rise to the challenge and do what He calls me to do.

Christian brothers and sisters, seek ministry, be strong, step out in faith and do what he calls you to, go on that mission trip, become a youth sponsor, send an encouraging note to your pastor, plan a retreat, lead a small group, commit to worship all-out, restore your personal bible study, teach a class, take the single Mom's kids for the day. Just do it--whatever it is.

In Daniel 11, the physical nation of Israel would soon face a threat from a foreign king. Their lesson was to prepare to display strength and rise to action. Should not we--the spiritual nation of Israel--learn the same lesson and display spiritual strength and rise to action also. It is how we will stand against the threat.

No comments: