Monday, February 18, 2008

presidents' day salute to you and me

Today is Presidents’ Day. You know we’ve only had 42 of those guys. And, it is appropriate to salute them. So, salute! On our next President’s Day, there will be a 43rd.

With just 42 presidents today, though, we could spend an entire half-hour saluting each one of them and still get 3 hours of sleep. I don’t propose that, but I do propose that we extend Presidents’ Day honors to anyone who has served as president of any organization. You were president of the student government in 8th grade, salute! You are president of the local chess club, salute!

At one time, I was president of the Kansas-Western Missouri chapter of the American Statistical Association—top plains geek, sort of. I have also been president of my local chapter of the Future Farmers of America (my future did not actually end up in farming, except that one day I spent branding beef cattle, but I do support agriculture by eating). I suspect there have been other presidencies that I’ve forgotten. I could be president of the failing memory club.

All of us who have served as president should be honored today. Please comment and let me know of your presidencies, and, hey, salute to you!

1 comment:

TwinLawyerMommy said...

I was senior class president in high school--class size 45. During my tenure, I gained permission for the seniors to leave for lunch 5 minutes early, and I was in charge of senior t-shirts. I was also voted class clown. I think there needs to be a day celebrating clowns, too.

In law school, I was president of the Environmental Law Society. It was quite a controversial election, as I had been caught a couple of times throwing recyclables in the trash. I organized a couple of meetings and a beach clean-up.