Tuesday, February 12, 2008

the mav, um, chick magnet #2

I told you about my moped in this earlier post. But upon turning 16, suddenly car trumps moped. So, the question is, what kind of wheels could possibly replace the chick magnet.

You've got it. The same Ford Maverick that was the setup for the punchline in another earlier post would become "the Mav," my 1976 Ford Maverick. In fact, I even bought the thing from my parents. They should've paid me to take the thing off their hands.

Not only was it a really cool car, but I got to share it with my twin brother while we were in high school. But due to my really cool paper route (that I kept until age 18), I probably got a lot more behind the wheel time.

Really, this kind of car is the best for teens. I mean the maximum speed was about 55 mph--not the speed limit (OK, it was the speed limit at the time), but the car's maximum speed. Above that, it would start to shake pretty good. I did get a speeding ticket one time for going 71 mph. I don't know how I did it.

It took its last breath on Sycamore St. in Fayetteville, AR in late 1989. Sold it for scrap. But that was not until after it saw me through high school, college, most of graduate school and marriage. I'm telling you, that car really was a chick magnet. My college sweetheart liked it.

It's funny how college sweetie and I have now been together for 21 years and married for almost 19, but that car has been gone for a very long time. I wonder if, perhaps, it was me that she liked and not the car. Nah...

No comments: