Sunday, February 24, 2008

surely there's a big word for it

The Sesquipedalian. That's the name of the family newsletter. Yeah, I come from the goofy family that has a family newsletter. I do love it. To my suprise, the family matriarch (my aunt Barbara) included this blog in the most recent version of the Ses. Thank you aunt Barbara for the reference, you geaux girl.

So, for those of you who are new to this blog as a result of seeing it in the Ses, welcome. You'll find some of the earliest posts of interest and quite a few posts about family (especially my dad). Except (possibly) for J.R., most of you will probably want to skip anything about hp calculators. If you want to know me better though, this blog is a great place to start.

Of course, sesquipedalian means given to the use of long words. This family does use long words. With a special ability to find 7- and 8-letter words--thanks to Scrabble. Yep, we're a Scrabble-nuts family. Maternal grandmother Hazel was top nut for a very long time. At family reunions we recount old family Scrabble games. I still recall games where I scored more than one 50-point bonus for using all 7 letters in my rack and still lost the game. It's not true that this family will do anything for each other. We will--except, that is, show mercy on the Scrabble board.

I would think it would be really cool to see our family word end up on a family Scrabble board. So next time you see PEDAL on the board, add your IAN to the end. It just may happen that Barbara has SESQUI ready to append to the front. Oh, and don't challenge PEDALIAN, you'll lose a turn.

Sorry for a blog post that was a foot and a half long. Welcome all Holts.

2 comments:

TwinLawyerMommy said...

That was cute--but what about the sub-culture in our family that tries to avoid games such as Scrabble? :)

kcrazorback said...

Hmmm? I didn't know there was one, a counter-culture of non-Scrabble Holts.